Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Be2 Sicillian (Read 13690 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Be2 Sicillian
Reply #23 - 09/10/09 at 17:26:56
Post Tools
Well, the line I was referring to (this sort of thing:  1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 e6 4. Nc3 ed 5. cd d6 6. e4 g6 7. Nf3 Bg7 8. Bd3 0-0 9. 0-0 a6 10. a4 Bg4 11. h3 Bxf3 12. Qxf3 Nbd7) has as far as I know been standardly assessed as equal for decades.  Another somewhat comparable line that comes to mind is in the Classical (the old main line), with Black playing ...a6, ...Bg4 and then taking on f3 (without White playing h3).  It's my impression that that has also generally been considered equal, for quite a few years now.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #22 - 09/10/09 at 12:02:23
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/10/09 at 04:04:21:
Markovich wrote on 09/10/09 at 01:04:07:
trw wrote on 09/09/09 at 20:58:15:
well I guess that is just my poor understanding of chess cause I consider the modern benoni += as well.

I too can hardly claim great understanding of chess, but I think that yes, many Modern Benoni positions have a nice feel from Black's side.  Many don't, so whether that system is += or not is a big question.  I suppose we both know the critical lines.  But it only slightly bears on this discussion, it seems to me.  

yea the benoni discussion can go to another forum section Smiley but I think the Be2 system is very fun to play.

Out of curiousity what was the starting position/move order for your thematic?

After White's fourth move.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 09/10/09 at 04:04:21
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/10/09 at 01:04:07:
well I guess that is just my poor understanding of chess cause I consider the modern benoni += as well.

I too can hardly claim great understanding of chess, but I think that yes, many Modern Benoni positions have a nice feel from Black's side.  Many don't, so whether that system is += or not is a big question.  I suppose we both know the critical lines.  But it only slightly bears on this discussion, it seems to me.  

yea the benoni discussion can go to another forum section Smiley but I think the Be2 system is very fun to play.

Out of curiousity what was the starting position/move order for your thematic?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #20 - 09/10/09 at 01:04:07
Post Tools

I too can hardly claim great understanding of chess, but I think that yes, many Modern Benoni positions have a nice feel from Black's side.  Many don't, so whether that system is += or not is a big question.  I suppose we both know the critical lines.  But it only slightly bears on this discussion, it seems to me.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 09/09/09 at 20:58:15
Post Tools

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 09/09/09 at 20:17:25
Post Tools
I recall now as well that Black scores well from the position after 9...Bg4 in my data base.  And to me, that looks like a very nice position for Black.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #17 - 09/09/09 at 20:10:10
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/09/09 at 18:09:04:
I apologize. This game: http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1104981298

yea I already found the id for the thematic but thank you.

Well, that is the game that I had to resign because of 26...g5?.  I should have known better than that; I saw too late how easy it would be for him to penetrate my kingside.  But it was reasonably equal had I played 26...Kh7 and I probably had better earlier as well.  Actually I rather liked that game because of its resemblance to a Modern Benoni, also observed by kylemeister.  It was a pity to trash it the way I did.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 09/09/09 at 18:24:52
Post Tools
The first thing I notice about that game is that it looks very close to a kind of Modern Benoni (with White playing e4, Nf3 and Bd3, without early h3) which is generally considered equal.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 09/09/09 at 18:09:04
Post Tools
I apologize. This game: http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1104981298

yea I already found the id for the thematic but thank you.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #14 - 09/09/09 at 18:02:09
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/09/09 at 18:01:12:
Markovich wrote on 09/09/09 at 17:33:30:
On www.net-chess.com, where I currently play as "gospodin."  Everything there is very informal, but when you issue an invitation to an event, you can stipulate a series of moves after which the game will begin.  I doubt that another thematic in this line would be very well attended, though.

But you can go there and look at any player's games, including mine.

I lost one of my games as Black because of bad play, and I may similarly lose another.  But I haven't felt that I was any worse after 4...g6.

The worst thing about netchess is that you can start with a rating of at most 2000, but anybody there with much strength has a rating of at least 2700 (they go up to a maximum of 3000, where there are several players clustered).  So working your way up the rating ladder presupposes many games against rather pathetic opposition.  And once you establish that you're a comer, the people at the top often seem reluctant to play you.

cool thanks. I see in one of your games your opponent tried the very thing I said 4... g6 5. 0-0 Bg7 6. Re1 0-0 7. Bf1 and you tried one of the four main moves ... e5
not that white is winning but you really don't think he has a slight plus?

Say which game, I have so many.  Also you can see all the games of the match, which is m1245070358.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/09/09 at 18:01:12
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/09/09 at 17:33:30:
On www.net-chess.com, where I currently play as "gospodin."  Everything there is very informal, but when you issue an invitation to an event, you can stipulate a series of moves after which the game will begin.  I doubt that another thematic in this line would be very well attended, though.

But you can go there and look at any player's games, including mine.

I lost one of my games as Black because of bad play, and I may similarly lose another.  But I haven't felt that I was any worse after 4...g6.

The worst thing about netchess is that you can start with a rating of at most 2000, but anybody there with much strength has a rating of at least 2700 (they go up to a maximum of 3000, where there are several players clustered).  So working your way up the rating ladder presupposes many games against rather pathetic opposition.  And once you establish that you're a comer, the people at the top often seem reluctant to play you.

cool thanks. I see in one of your games your opponent tried the very thing I said 4... g6 5. 0-0 Bg7 6. Re1 0-0 7. Bf1 and you tried one of the four main moves ... e5
not that white is winning but you really don't think he has a slight plus?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/09/09 at 17:33:30
Post Tools

But you can go there and look at any player's games, including mine.  In fact you can look at the games of this thematic, almost all of which are ongoing.  It's match m1245070358.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 09/09/09 at 17:29:33
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 09/09/09 at 04:50:39:
Well, 4...Bd7 gets a column in ECO, still something of a standard general reference.  (The one-volume Small ECO relegates it to a note.) 

As for 4...g6 leaving White "a very pleasant game," it's my impression that it (like some of Black's other moves) is generally considered as leading to equality with best play.

thanks for that tid bit i'll check ECO.

I'm under the impression the 4... g6  5. 0-0 Bg7 6. Re1 gives a very nice edge to white. ... 0-0 Bf1

Bibs wrote on 09/09/09 at 09:30:21:
Point 2:
a) Perhaps as a moderator you may like to be more polite.
b) 'Flexible' does not necessarily equate to advantageous. Unless you are competing in the World OwnFootLicking contest.

My post was not meant to be rude or "unpolite" but that might be hard to see since its an internet forum which means no body language or tone of voice goes with the post.

Also not following Soltis or Basman religiously but Basman did create this system. Do you have more uptodate sources than these two?

Markovich wrote on 09/09/09 at 16:51:30:
Funny this should come up, because I'm playing in an informal CC round robin thematic against some moderately strong players in precisely this line.  4...g6 was my choice and I believe that Black is perfectly OK there.  I don't know what's so freaking pleasant about White's game.

Four of my opponents tried 4...Nc6 and in each case it went 5.d4 cxd4 6.cxd4 Qa5+ 7.Nc3 Nxe4 8.d5 Nxc3 9.bxc3 Ne5 10.Nxe5 Qxc3+ 11.Bd2 Qxe5 12.0-0.  I could see how a machine would dupe someone into playing this way, but it amazed me that four of these guys all went in for this, which to me seems much too dangerous.  In any case, one lost on a blunder and the other three are gradually losing after 12...a6 13.Be3.  In general White invades along the c-file, just like taking candy from a baby.

A great many other of my games in this line have led to a rather closed position with both sides having pawns on K4,Q3 and QB4, where Black can hardly be much worse.  I did face 4...Bd7 once and as I recall Black's game is O.K. there as well.

I suppose I agree that White's position is flexible, but I would never play this way because it just doesn't do anything to challenge Black.  I wouldn't play this way unless I thought someone would try to win those two pawns after 4...Nc6 5.d4, anyhow.

Where are you playing this thematic? Is there another one being offerred? I would join if there is!

I believe the gambit is bad for black at least certainly with 9... Ne5 but 9... Nd8 seems playable for black if any of the NIC Yearbook holds up with 10. 0-0 e5 dxe5 Nxe6.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 09/09/09 at 16:51:30
Post Tools
Funny this should come up, because I'm playing in an informal CC round robin thematic against some moderately strong players in precisely this line.  4...g6 was my choice and I believe that Black is perfectly OK there.  I don't know what's so freaking pleasant about White's game.

Four of my opponents tried 4...Nc6 and in each case it went 5.d4 cxd4 6.cxd4 Qa5+ 7.Nc3 Nxe4 8.d5 Nxc3 9.bxc3 Ne5 10.Nxe5 Qxc3+ 11.Bd2 Qxe5 12.0-0.  I could see how a machine would dupe someone into playing this way, but it amazed me that four of these guys all went in for this, which to me seems much too dangerous.  In any case, one lost on a blunder and the other three are gradually losing after 12...a6 13.Be3.  In general White invades along the c-file, just like taking candy from a baby.

A great many other of my games in this line have led to a rather closed position with both sides having pawns on K4,Q3 and QB4, where Black can hardly be much worse.  I did face 4...Bd7 once and as I recall Black's game is O.K. there as well.

I suppose I agree that White's position is flexible, but I would never play this way because it just doesn't do anything to challenge Black.  I wouldn't play this way unless I thought someone would try to win those two pawns after 4...Nc6 5.d4, anyhow.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #9 - 09/09/09 at 14:24:45
Post Tools
Clearly we define flexibility in a different way. To me, commiting the bishop to e2 when it's unclear that it belongs there seems inflexible. Various moves seem more precise, logical, and flexible - mainly 3. d4, 3. Bb5+, 3. Nc3, and 3. c3. Specifically, even 3. c3 seems a more flexible choice if your idea is always 4. c3 on the next move after 3. Be2. In addition, since White's plan is nearly always c3 and d4, I fail to see how this 3. Be2 leads to any flexibility for White whatsoever, since you're always persuing the same plan. In the open, White has various positional and attacking tries, and what seems like 5-6 plausible and playable piece set-ups, etc...In the Bb5+ Sicilian, White can also play for c3 and d4, but has other options as well.

I wouldn't mind an explanation of why you think this move is equally as good as the more popular tries (since you imply that White should without question get some kind of advantage here...even if White is struggling to find an advantage against the best Sicilian set-ups), and why you think this move is so flexible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo